Monday, 6 March 2017

Sneaking through


When I arrived at the harbour this morning, fences had been erected blocking two different routes  but I was able to take Annie the way we usually go to walk along the boardwalk.  It was quite warm today with a nice blue sky and it was nice to leave the boardwalk and go down onto the beach. The way we exit the beach is at the point where the river enters the sea. I walked through deep tracks where dumper trucks were moving sand and I soon realised that Annie needed to be on her lead as we didn't want to be flattened by those things!

I stood for a while watching the big digger loading sand into the buckets of the dumper trucks and it seemed a very coordinated operation, as soon as one left full of sand another arrived ready to be filled.


When we got safely back to the start of our circular walk, the health and safety supervisor asked me how I'd managed to sneak through. I told him we'd come from off the beach and he said he'd have to go and put some signs up there too. I wasn't really in any bother but at least it highlighted his risk assessment hadn't been thorough enough.

I'm not sure exactly what they are doing, making more sand dunes I expect as I have seen them transplanting new areas of marram grass before. I noticed they had a very unusual way to move the picnic benches out of the way.


Before I left to return home I stopped to talk to a lady with a spaniel with the most delightful tail and I couldn't resist asking for a photograph :)


8 comments:

  1. That's a great way of moving the picnic benches - I wouldn't mind that job, I can drive a JCB :)

    The little dog looks cute, and its tail is lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was funny to see all the benches piled up like that. Moving them would be a good job, I expect it takes skill and a license. You never cease to amaze me Eunice :)

      She was a really nice, young dog and quite respectful of Annie being an older dog. The lady was telling me spaniels used to have their tails docked, which I know of course and thank goodness it's illegal to do so now.

      Delete
  2. Evie would be trying to sit at those picnic tables anyway...

    It is good that the site supervisor is on top of things rather than just ignoring how you got there.

    Its good that they are sorting it all out before the summer too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect the tables piled up like that would be an invitation for little ones to climb over them.

      The supervisor was probably cursing under his breath that I'd sneaked through :)

      It'll soon be Easter when we get an influx of visitors to the holiday camps. I don't mind as long as they bring some sunshine with them :)

      Delete
  3. It might surprise you to learn that I was driving tractors long before I could ever drive a car :)

    I worked on a building site when I was 17, that's where I learned to drive a dumper and a JCB. Fast forward to the early 90s and I looked after some horses for a local builder who had a JCB on his land so I brushed up my skills there. Then in 1997, three years into my relationship with my ex, we bought a couple of vintage tractors to do up and take to various shows, including the one at Llandudno in May where we drove all the way round Great Orme. I only started learning to drive a car in 2009 after the split with my ex - I passed my test in March 2010 and I've been driving my van ever since. Tractor driving is much more fun though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have led an interesting life Eunice, you are so petite too (I'm allowed to say that having met you) :) I was impressed when you told me you only learned to drive fairly recently as I know it becomes harder the older you get apparently. Your having experience of driving those huge machines would have helped, hats off to you! Things you take in your stride would scare me to death :)

      I passed my driving test when I was seventeen as my Dad was keen for me to learn as he had very poor eyesight and he knew he had to give up driving. I was then able to drive the family to Manchester regularly to see my grandmother before she passed. Those regular trips featured largely throughout my growing up years, I remember a few hairy moments when my Dad was driving, it might explain a lot about me being a nervous passenger :)

      Delete
  4. Now there I was thinking Officials were good at Risk Assessments! lol....yikes, poor man must have been thanking his lucky stars that you happened along to highlight the leak in their fortifications, lol.

    And yes, you are right, that doggies tail is amazing, bless it.

    Oh, nearly forgot....I love your Header photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well yes, I saved a potentially serious accident from happening by highlighting his oversight. To be fair, I now know that it was the first morning of three weeks work, I'll mention it in my next post.

      About the header photo, I saw all those razorshells washed up against a groyne and thought they looked so nice. I normally enjoy standing on them and hearing them crunch :)

      Delete